Friday 15 August 2014

Amsterdam Photo Diary












This was my first trip to Amsterdam and it definitely won’t be my last. I think a lot of people have visions of Amsterdam being quite seedy and unsafe in some parts, but this was definitely not the case. Yes, walking through the Red Light District is an experience and not what many people are used to seeing, but I never felt unsafe or that dodgy people surrounded me. Overall, the streets in Amsterdam were always bustling with tourists and the atmosphere was lovely. I was also pleasantly surprised with how full the streets were with shops and boutiques. If we had more time (and a bit more money), I would have definitely gone a bit crazy in the shops!

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to stay in the centre of Amsterdam due to the hotels being so expensive at the time of booking. We stayed in a hotel in Lelystad, which was about 40 minutes away from Amsterdam by train. Even though we had to take this return train journey every day it wasn’t that bad and the journey was so easy.

In terms of things to do, there are so many options! During our stay we visited the Amsterdam Ice Bar, Madame Tussauds, The Sex Museum and Anne Franks House and also went on a canal boat tour. We got some of these tickets at local tour guide shops and they were discounted! One of the highlights was definitely Anne Franks House, but here’s a tip: if you are visiting Amsterdam and want to go here, try and book tickets online beforehand. The queue is always ridiculously long and if you book online you get to skip it! We didn’t do this and ended up waiting for 3 hours!

All in all, Amsterdam is definitely one of my favourite places that I have visited. The cobblestone streets, canals, bicycles and cute cafes are such a lovely backdrop when exploring the city.


Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. great photos. I've never been to Amsterdam yet but I'll visit one day, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should if you get the chance! It's beautiful :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete